Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Join the Gang

I ride a motorcycle. Or, more truthfully, I used to ride a motorcycle- before I had kids. I loved the freedom, the wind, the way the road looks totally different from the seat of a cruiser. But most of all, I loved the camaraderie. I joined an all-brand motocycle club when I first began riding and, along with my parents, each on their own cruisers, went on 100- mile weekend rides. I felt like I was part of a "gang".  Not the scary gang. But the one that created the rider mentality that connected each of us, no matter our stations in life.  Engineers, car mechanics, janitors, orthodontists, small business owners, yes, even lawyers.

Something awesome I learned when I started riding is that motorcyclists wave to each other. Not big wavy-waves (those aren't so good for balance).  But little hand gestures- a raised finger, a peace sign, a small salute. It was like an secret handshake, delivered as I passed by a fellow rider. It says, "we are connected, you and I, no matter what our individual circumstances."  It was an amazing feeling-knowing that if I got stuck on the side of the road with my bike down, I would not be there alone for long. I trusted that other bikers would look out for me and someone would stop to help.

Even during an accidental trip in the snow, I exchanged waves with a Vago (one of the more scary-type gang-members). It was an acknowledgement, of sorts. "You're crazy to be out in this, and so am I."

This feeling of connection is one I want everyone to know, and is what I hope to create with the Daily Altruist. A sense of belonging to the "gang"- we are in this together, you and I. And I salute you for the simple joy of connection.

Join the Gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment